Monday, September 8, 2008

Please Be Seated

We have two seating choices in our dining room: either a table or a booth. My European husband hates booths and claims they're only found in America. Is that true? Most Americans prefer a booth...even if they're too fat to squeeze into it. If I see an overweight diner entering I often steer them to a table, not offering a booth as a choice. They don't always get the hint and ask if any booths are free. Sometimes I can say all booths are reserved, just like during the holidays, if I see a family coming with 3 strollers, I tell them all tables are reserved. But sometimes they insist anyway and wedge themselves into a booth, often taking the tablecloth with them as it gets caught under their thighs. I have suggested to the servers that we put a scale in front of the booths and ask patrons to weigh first. Anyone over 150 gets a table.
Not being skinny minnnie myself, I empathize with overweight patrons. But I have also been in a situation where I couldn't squeeze into a tight spot at a restaurant and ended up taking the tablecloth off my table and an adjacent one as I tried to get to my seat.
I have an elderly patron who's thin and always requests a booth. Then complains about drafts every time the door opens. I offer to re-seat her at a more sheltered table, but she insists on remaining in a booth. Her server tells her every time the door opens take a sip of wine and you won't feel cold.

No comments: